Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ambition..

I knew that when we were looking for houses, an unfinished basement was something Justin wanted really badly. I agreed, and am glad we found a house that had one that we could finish out ourselves, increase the value of our home as well as customize the rooms to our liking. I just didn't quite anticipate the time it would take, lol. I've had this little timeline in my head...Finish the two bedrooms and bathroom in the basement before summer gets here, then during the warm months, once the ground has thawed, finish our back yard. {complete with: Deck, Fire Pit, Sprinkler System, Sod/ Grass, a Shop, Fencing, Raised planters and a Sand Box} I'm so excited to have a yard! I just can't wait. Then after the yard is finished and it starts to get cold again, finish the Family room off in the basement, and that should about conclude the major projects. But...I guess we have to start with step one before we can hit step two right?
So... Tonight Justin's mom and dad are going to come help us frame and wire in the First bedroom in the basement, which will be turned into an office/ guest room so when the time comes, we can have a nursery upstairs.
I'm so grateful to have construction minded people in our family that can come help us with these undertakings. Justin is more than capable, but help never hurts. My dad came and helped him cut all the boards to length last week so tonight they're going to put the puzzle together. Super exciting for me because that = being one step closer to finishing our yard.
I keep getting a lot of questions from various people of when we are going to have kids. I know this is something personal that I shouldn't have to explain unless I want to, but there is something I want everyone to understand. I am not mad at anyone that has ever asked me that question, it's perfectly reasonable. Let me just say that, Justin and I have been married nearly 2 years and just barely got into a house of our own. We are working hard to secure our financial future to sustain children as well as trying to get our house ready for children. I have never wanted to feel that I'm not ready for a child once they're on their way or already here. We want to get our basement finished, our yard finished and make sure that we, as a couple, are ready to take that dive. Our relationship is more precious to us than everything except the Lord, we do not want to burden that by jumping into things we're not ready for. I'm not saying that children are a burden either, just something that I feel should be planned for, so thank you for asking, but please be understanding of our personal goals and desires in the mean time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Jada said...

Do people really ask you that much about having kids? I say take your time you will have eternity to be with and raise your kids. Enjoy your time together and get the things accomplished that you feel need done. I think 3-5 years is a good time to be married before introducing kids into the mix. Good for you and don't let others tempt you into what you are not ready for!!!