Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Yard...


This last little while, our yard has totally consumed our lives. If it’s not fencing, or weeding or watering or leveling or planting or building, we don’t do it, lol. I can’t say how great it has been though. To see something that we own turn into something from nothing, is so rewarding! I have this picture in my mind of what a wonderful little yard it will be, with Justin out there throwing softballs with our kids and I’m out there making little lunches… I know that’s a long way down the road, but that’s just the picture that pops into my head.


We got the tractor up here from St. George so last night we spent all afternoon leveling out our side yard, which used to just be this huge sluffing-off rock pile. Then after we got that all raked out and got the sprinklers raised to the ‘new ground-level’ we started working on the back yard. Justin started spreading and leveling the top soil in the back yard. He got more than ½ of it finished last night, I was really surprised at how fast the work went.

I forgot to mention that two weeks ago, I got called as the new primary teacher for the 11-year old girls. I have taught their class twice now and I do enjoy it. I love re-reading the stories I have known and heard since childhood. It’s a good reminder of who came first and what really happened. Sometimes the girls have a fairly short attention span, but I have tried to involve them by having them take turns reading the different sections of scripture and asking as many questions as I can. Last week I had a bit of a rough patch with one of the more disobedient girls in the class. I have been trying so hard to be patient with her, but the way I was raised, that kind of behavior would NOT FLY!

I miss the days when children were made to sit quietly by their parents with their arms folded, with their feet on the floor – not kicking, hitting, pinching, spitting, or touching, each other and most especially NOT being disruptive. That is the kind of classroom I have been striving to posses and it has been okay, except for this one “fluke” I had last week.

This little girl is always glaring at me, like she thinks she can scare me. She will never answer questions with relevant information when I ask her things and when I ask her to read scriptures, usually after about 5 minutes of all of us sitting there staring at her – she gives in. I can handle that with a little persistence and a little patience. But when it comes to the point of this girl standing in the middle of the room practically yelling in my face about how awesome she is and something about snowmobiling and cabins…I just kinda lost it….I was not rude but…well…It went a little something like this:
“Look! I know it is hard for you to have a new teacher and I know I do things differently than your old teacher but I need you to knock it off. I work very hard to prepare these lessons and to involve you girls in them. I want to make things fun, because, let’s face it, these lessons are as much for my benefit as yours, so if you can’t be on your 100% best behavior and only say things that are important to this lesson, you can march your little butt outside and not come back.”

And…that was it folks…my grand embarrassing moment where I couldn’t believe I had just said those things to an 11year old girl let alone, we were in the church house…

Wow…Anyways. That’s what’s up with us… plus about a million other small things that make life what it is :D


No comments: