Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lasik..and Fathers Day

So...Depression has not officially set in, but Friday was a disappoitment to say the least. I knew when I scheduled my appointment that there would be a chance my pre-exam would conclude that I was not a good candidate for lasik but all the tests Dr. Seitz did showed no signs of problems. So Friday when I got there after two hours of testing they tell me that my cornea is too thin to do lasik, but they could do something called a PRK which is where they use the laser that reshapes your cornea, just like lasik, but since my cornea is too thin instead of cutting a flap in your cornea to use as a natural bandaid, they would just run the laser through my cornea to reshape the retina but that would create a huge abrasion on my cornea, it pretty much just burns it. So if they did that they would have to put a contact over it to act as a bandaid to help it heal, which was problem number two: I'm allergic to the surgical plastic contacts are made of which is why I don't wear them already. He also said that PRK has a longer recovery time, meaning I would have to supplement eye drops every 15 minutes for the next 2-3 months, which wouldn't be fun, especially where I already have underproducing tearducts so my eyes would almost be intolerably dry all the time. Another down side is that I'm only 20 and since a person's perscription doesn't usually stabalize til their 30's or in women, after they're done having children, he said that even if I did choose to have it done that day, I would probably have to come back within 5-10 years and have it redone or I would be right back in glasses......

So my mom and I ended up spending the weekend shopping for fathers day gifts and fabric. It was pretty fun aside from the disappointing news. I made it home Saturday in time for Melanie's Father's day barbecue at our house where Lisa, Tiff, Danny, Ramsey, Stefanie, Morgan, Ali, Ashton, Grayson and Mammy and Pappy all came down and we had an indoor barbecue because of the storm. It was pretty fun and after the weather cleared up we all went outside and played on the rope swing Justin built for me. The kids had a blast. Sunday I got to go to my parents house for lunch, then when justin got home from work we went back over and gave Monty his gifts before he had to leave for Salt Lake to go back to China. Then we went back to my parents to give my dad his gifts and then headed to my grandparents for my grandpa's fathers day dinner. We sure did a lot of eating! Hailey got to eat her first corn on the cob ever too. I offered her a bite and she immediately figured it out and took it from me! It was funny but we had fun and got to enjoy all of our fathers and grandfathers!!! Hope you all had a great one too!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chels, I am sorry you didn't get to have the eye surgery. I know you were looking forward to not wearing glasses. But maybe by the time your eyes stabalize they will have even better procedures out there.